Re: [TowerTalk] Two tribanders vs. one

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Two tribanders vs. one
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:09:28 -0500
Suggest you sit down with HFTA and let it help you decide.  From the
east coast, yes you absolutely need a low antenna to work EU/AF/SA on
the higher angles.  I have two yagis, not stacked, an OB16-3 at 80 feet
and a little C3E (2 elements each band/3on ten) at 40 feet.  It never
ceases to amaze me how much louder I am in EU/AF/SA on the low tribander
during the middle of an opening.  HFTA  illustrates this nicely, showing
the nulls in the pattern of the higher yagi.  For me on the east coast
the difference between a two stack at 40/80 and the single antenna at 80
feet makes it not worth the investment provided I keep the 40 footer to
EU etc.  That said I really do want to put up a two stack of OB16-3's at
40 and 80 feet just to try em.  But first I have to have the means to
put up the C3E at 40 feet someplace else.  Good luck.  73 bob de w9ge