Re: [TowerTalk] Isolation Transformer

To: Gene WØQFC <erastber@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Isolation Transformer
From: Martin Ewing <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:19:36 -0500
Gene,

Here are my 2 cents.

A transformer _can_ provide some protection against HF signals &
transients that may come in on the line, but most transformers aren't
designed for that kind of isolation.  The best ones are carefully
shielded between primary & secondary to reduce capacitive coupling.

An isolation transformer gives you the _possibility_ of having a local
AC ground reference point separate from the AC entrance.  Good
practice demands that all grounds be bonded together for safety.  The
isolated ground can be used to advantage to reduce local AC ground
currents, but that's not the usual problem for ham installations. (It
could help with low-level instrumentation or with audio studio work in
an AC noisy environment.)

An adjustable transformer gives you some ability to stabilize voltage.

In most cases, I don't see any benefit of transformer isolation for
ham use. YMMV

73, Martin AA6E
http://blog.aa6e.net