[TowerTalk] portable soldering iron

To: <mpride@us.ibm.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] portable soldering iron
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:24:50 -0500
Mark (TT):

I think Craig Clark's word was "FUGEDABOUTIT!"

To which I will append....how many BTU's can you cram
in a double A cell?

Further to that, in 10 years in Vermont, I also observed
that my radio shack butane soldering pencil was inadequate
when ambient was under 30F, trying to solder pl259's.

However...I got really good doing it with a standard propane
torch, after a while.  Even in 20 below, I could repair
critter damage by cutting out the bad section, and
connectorizing it.   Had a vertical on a hilltop...150'
above the house, and coyote's thought the 9913 was a snake.
So did what I think was a bear...  helluva mess.

Short form:  a delicate touch with a good source of BTU's
trumps a long time without enough energy.

If you want to be artful, buy a soldering tip for the propane
torch.  19.95 at ACE, complete.

n2ea
jimjarvis@ieee.org