[TowerTalk] corrosion and wear of moving parts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] corrosion and wear of moving parts
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:12:37 -0500
To Gary, who opined that corrosion and wear would render
all SteppIR's useless in 5 years, and Brian (n1ik), who
responded with the following, edited comments;

-0-
Gary.

Good points.  We'll just have to wait and see.

I made my bet.  I am an optimist, and I believe in the product.  Plus I love
the company.

I wish you all could have been here on Sunday morning when I ran EU on
18.127 for nearly five hours.  The pileup was 20 wide and 30 deep all
morning, and the SteppIR was playing really well.  When that many people
tell you that you are 20 over, it's intoxicatingly fun.
Would I have done as well on a T-12?  Probably.
Brian, N1IK
-0-

And, as for me, one serious VT Winter proved OK...and the beam was up in
NJ this past winter...we MIGHT see corrosion in the seaside salt air, and
we MIGHT see wear of the holes in the tape, but stepper motors are well
proven.
Will we see failures?  Maybe.

On the other hand, I seriously DOUBT that those aluminum tribanders that
went
up 30 years ago are any where near as efficient as the day they launched.
We just
don't know it yet.

I know that I replaced a T8 and a kt34a with my steppIR, and have no
regrets.
Would I have done as well on a T12?  Only maybe, some of the time.

n2ea
jimjarvis@ieee.org