[TowerTalk] Quad Feeding

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Quad Feeding
From: andy ronan <1n9tgr@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:58:44 -0800 (PST)
Bob,I have a 4 el 5band from lightning bolt and fed it with the included balun
and a single common feed.I ran it that way  for about a year and was very
disappointed with it performance  (at 75 feet).It did not perform any better
than the A3s I had.The following year I got rid of the aluminum wire supplied
with the antenna and changed it to #14 hard drawn copper,got rid of the balun
and fed each element to a remote switch box.I used coaxial gammas made from old
RG-8 and now the quad really performs.I had 6 elements on 6 mtrs also but had
too much inter action and never got it running  right.Anything you hear you can
work no matter how bad band conditions are.I am still expermenting with it and
this summer will improve the FB,the quad does require maintenance and is
definitely not a put it up and forget it antenna,but you wont be disappointed
going the gamma match approach.One final tip before you put on the spreaders is
to coat them with a varnish or epoxy paint as you will b
 e glad
 you did when you have to work on it again.
73s Andy..N9TGR/EI8IM