Re: [TowerTalk] The Care and feeding of an 80 meter Zepp

To: "<towertalk@contesting.com> <towertalk@contesting.com>" <towertalk@contesting.com>,Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] The Care and feeding of an 80 meter Zepp
From: Justin Burket (KL1RL) <zorton@jtan.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:07:40 -0900

> My advice is to throw away the 300 ohm line and the coax.
> Simply extend the wire (using another piece of wire) into your
> shack, and connect that wire to the center conductor of the
> tuner input.

I'll have to give this a try as well and see how it compares.  I think
I have a good counterpoise in the metal railing outside my shack
window.  I suspect I could connect that to the railing or to the vent
screen.

Right now I simply eliminated the coax from the 300 ohm line to the
tuner and simply connected the 300 ohm signal line to the center
conductor of my tuner.  The other side I connected to chassis ground
and to the hot water pipe.  This made QUITE the improvement.  Noise
floor dropped a bit and I heard some signals I typically don't hear.

The trouble is now i've discovered a nice chunk of noise from my
computer monitor.  I blame cat hair falling into the monitor over the
years.

Justin KL1RL
Fairbanks AK