[TowerTalk] 1/4 wave vs. 1/2 wave Vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 1/4 wave vs. 1/2 wave Vertical
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 10:31:42 EST
Hi Guys,

I'd sure appreciate your thoughts on the following:

Would there be any advantages or disadvantages of converting a 1/4 vertical
on 160 meters to a 1/2 wave or 5/8 wave vertical, when the method used to
increase the electrical length of the tower would be to load a portion of the
top
set of guy wires?  This is often done on the AM broadcast band but I am not
sure what the pro's and con's would be.

Since the 1/4 vertical in question has a base insulator, and a set of guys at
the top of the tower that go out 80% of the tower height, I am thinking it
would be quite easy just to load a portion of the top set of guy wires.

Specific questions:

1) Would the ground wave perfromance of the vertical be better or worse?
2) Any idea how much the take off angle of radiation would be reduced for DX
qso's?
3) Would any gain be achieved with this method of increasing the towers
length?
4) Would loading a portion of the horizontal guy wires actually decrease
performance of the vertical?
5) Would the change in base resistance be good or bad for overall
performance?

Thanks & 73,

Dick- K9OM