Re: [TowerTalk] re; Whiskers growing where you cannot shave them

To: w8ji@contesting.com, N6TA@arrl.net, boblombardi@cfl.rr.com,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re; Whiskers growing where you cannot shave them
From: Jamesnf@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 11:33:17 EST
Not so Tom.  Although much progress has been made with "no-clean" solders,
dendrite growth is still an issue when pc board assemblies are exposed to
humidity.  To remove flux residues after waveline or smt reflow soldering
processes,
it was common to use either chemical or deionized water board washers
followed by dryers.  Eventually, the EPA banned the CFC emissions and the
deionized
washers were expensive and a mess to maintain, so "no-clean" solders took the
lead. Believe me, we wouldn't have gone to all this trouble in the industry if
whiskers only formed in a high vacuum.

Regards,

Jim W9TM