Re: [TowerTalk] Wet setting conduit?

To: <garyschafer@comcast.net>, <dickgreen@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wet setting conduit?
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 15:10:25 -0500
TT:

     Polyphaser and ICE and other types of lightning suppressors shunt to
ground the lightning energy that is injected onto the center conductor of
the coax.  Let's all agree on that point.  How they do it (provide the
shunting effect) varies with the design of the device.

     Polyphasers have a series DC blocking cap, and a shunt gas discharge
tube on the antenna side of this cap (
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/ice/33.htm ).  ICE devices (also at
this URL), in addition to the cap and tube, have a shunt inductor at the
antenna connector (to bleed off slowly-building charges) and a shunt
resistor on the equipment side of the device.  Alpha Delta devices (
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/ice/33a.htm ) have a shunt tube but
no series cap.  ALL of these devices are designed to shunt lightning enrgy
from the center conductor to ground, as I said above. *

     In my tower system, I installed Polyphaser devices in a steel, grounded
box at the tower base.  I chose this location because the ground system at
my tower consists of three ground leads welded to a dozen ground rods,
providing (I hope) a fairly low impedance to ground for lightning energy.  I
could have installed the Polyphasers at the shack entrance along with my SPG
panel as is being suggested by some below.  However, at this location I have
only ONE ground lead to ONE ground rod (This rod is actually the last rod,
farthest from the tower, in my tower ground field system.)  In my
estimation, the tower location provides a much lower impedance connection to
ground (three leads and many rods) as compared with the shack end (only one
rod and 50 feet of wire to the tower's ground field.)  I wanted to dump the
lightning energy from  the Polyphasers into a better ground connection - at
the tower.  Also, this connection was farther away from my house than the
SPG connection outside the shack.  (First Rule of Lightning Protection: Keep
the strike energy away from your shack interior.)

     My conclusion is that, given a choice, one should connect lightning
suppressors 1. to the better (lower impedance) ground point and 2. farther
away from the shack.  The recommendation to install such suppressors outside
the shack, in my opinion, is not a good idea unless the tower is also just
outside the shack.  In this case the lowest impedance connection to the
ground system is most likely at the tower/outside the shack.  In my case,
the tower is fifty feet away.

     BTW - Knowing what I now know about the design of various suppressors
(above), I probably would have selected ICE devices.  But they don't come in
a bulkhead mount design, only a flange design.  They are not able to be
poked through the sides of the steel box I have.  One can only hope.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F
*  I realize that this information is found on the web pages of one of the
competing vendors - ICE.  Caveat Amateur.