Re: [TowerTalk] When a Yagi Loses an Element

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] When a Yagi Loses an Element
From: K4SB <k4sb@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 06:37:08 +0000
Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
> The antenna is now very nose heavy and once the U-bolts are loosened, the
> front end
> will make a nose dive straight down into the guys wires.

Fairly simple solution. I believe the boom on this antenna is 3". Get
2 3" muffler clamps and install them in such a manner that the center
of balance is displaced to that of the original configuration. Now,
some heavy duty rope tied around the outsides of the clamps and
connected to a pully of sufficient strength can be used so loosen the
mounting clamps. During this process, if balance is not achieved,
simply tighten the bolts again, and move one of the 3" muffler clamps
to compensate.

Another thing which might be helpful is to remove any element close
enough to the mast to reduce the weight of the antenna.

My 48' boom for my big 20 partially broke right outside the boom to
mast plate a month or so ago. This is the method I used to lower it to
the ground. Of course, it helps to have a little help from a 24 hp
Sears tractor.

Incidentally, I have constructed and mounted permanent pullys on all 4
tower masts I have. Used cut sections of a Rohn house bracket secured
with 2" clamps and a 850 pound pully on the end. Basically just
cutting the house bracket in half.

Hope this will give you some ideas.

73
Ed