Re: [TowerTalk] When a Yagi Looses an Element

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] When a Yagi Looses an Element
From: Mark Pride <mpride@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:01:16 -0400

Bill,

As I communicated to you in a private email, instead of having the pulley,
two strong workers, consider the following for a "single op" process.

Use the Hand Hoist device I suggested that has a worm gear mechanism, and a
hook on each end with the 10 ft. of steel cable in the hoist.  It can hold
1500 lbs. and requires no special handling like a come along.  Really easy
to let it out or pull it in. Secure the one end out on the boom like VE5RA
suggested but use the handhoist winch to give you the lift support as you
pull the boom through the boom to mast plate, seeking the balance point.

I made a bracket that provides a nice heavy duty support on the mast and
above the antenna to secure the hand hoist.  The bracket I made comes from
1/2 thick angle iron and I mounted two large UBolts on one side (mount to
the mast) and the other surface, I drilled a hole to accommodate putting
the hand hoist hook in.  Forms a nice, strong point to lift and pull the
boom toward the center as you nurse it through the boom to mast plate.
This particular angle iron support
happens to be about 6 inches long that serves nicely as a step, in case I
have to climb a mast.  Large surface area for my foot.  With a couple of
these steps, I can easily reach up high on a mast, safely.

In reflecting further on this repair, might be helpful having some one
crank on the hand hoist, while another pulls the boom through. (2 man job
again!)  It is a finesse job.  When balance is achieved, then tram the
antenna to the ground.  You will fall in love with this hand hoist device.
Great for heavy lifting in short distances (10 ft.) with easy control.

Regards,

Mark, K1RX

Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>@contesting.com on 04/04/2005 10:35:07 AM

Please respond to ve5ra@sasktel.net