[TowerTalk] Fencing camoflage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fencing camoflage
From: "Mike Maddox" <mmaddox@aclass.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:14:35 -0500
The plant you are referring to is called multi-flora rose, and yes it will
grow to the point that it is a living fence.  However, it will spread very
quickly.  In many state it is considered a noxious weed and planting it is
forbidden.  Please do not consider it.  Your extension office should be able
to provide you with an option that is suitable for your local climate.  I am
in the process of building anti-climb panels for the local club, but am
using expanded mesh to lessen the visual impact.

I'm thinking along the lines of camoflaging a fence instead of trying to
jury rig anti-climb panels.

I no longer remember the name of the stuff, but wayyy back when I lived on a
farm (and even farmed a bit) we were able to pick up several types of bushes
from the soil conservation distric to use as hedges in fence rows.  In two
years this stuff grew to the point you didn't even need fences to keep in
the cattle.
It thrived when everything else was drying up.  How well it'd do in Nevada,
I don't know.

I remember it had bright orange berries in the Fall and it may have had
thorns.  It was supposed to provide cover for Phesants.

Something like that would probably require trimming several times  a year.
Creating the gate and then the support so the hedge would move with the gate
is an interesting thought. I like the idea.  Too bad I can't remember the
name of the stuff, but I think I can find someone who does.

I've seen some kind of vine used to replace grass in Arizona and New Mexico.
Something like that could be planted in hangers/planters on a lattice
covering the fence.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com