Re: [TowerTalk] Utility poles

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Utility poles
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:54:02 -0400
Getting a 120 foot stick anywhere is a serious undertaking....cops,
utility workers, road blocking crews, road use permits, required
liability insurance(s), replacement of knocked down signs/lampposts
etc.  The other solution is delivery by helicopter, and you do not want
to even ask what that costs.  Makes the price of a 120 foot Rohn 55
tower downright cheap by comparison.

Any utility pole over 60 feet is going to be a bear to deliver to your
antenna farm, unless you live next to and on the same side of the street
as the rail yard they drop it on.  Even a 60 footer can be a bear to
deliver and plant....and then it is only a 52 footer when you are
finished.  Hardly worth it today.  In the olden days it was not nearly
as difficult.  Read about it in the exploits of W6AM on the west coast
early in the 20th century.

I put in a 45 foot class 2 pole  for my dad 30+  years ago and mounted a
small tri bander on it with standard pole hardware and two pieces of
mast, one inside the other as a long thrust bearing.  The beam was 38
feet up, and from the black hole of Northern Wisconsin the old man
almost made honor role with it, before he went SK.  Cost him $20 to have
a crane come and plant that pole behind his house.  The local utility
donated the pole. I dug the hole with a pole spoon.   A similar crane
today, $500 with a four hour minimum, more on Saturday or Sunday.
Because of liability most utility companies cannot "give away" poles any
longer. Buy a tower, its much cheaper and easier to engineer. 73 bob de w9ge