Re: [TowerTalk] polyrod

To: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>,"Roger K8RI on Tower" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>, "Ken Claerbout" <K4ZW@Staffnet.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] polyrod
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 07:26:34 -0400
> Polygon was 33-50% the price of Phillystran at the time,
as I recall.  I think it was very non-stretchy.
> -- KE3Q

I hope everyone takes this the right way.

We tend debate hours on end about cad welding, rebar rust,
using four direction guys, and all sorts of things and then
the only thing holding our towers up has an unexplained
failure problem (that makes no sense) and no one bothers to
pursue why! What we have here is an engineer at the
manufacturer saying it can't hurt, sales people saying they
coil it and store it all the time without problems, and a
few users who know virtually nothing about the product
deciding the failure they saw was from being coiled!  Quite
frankly the idea being coiled ruins it doesn't make any
logical sense, and the fact the manufacturer responded with
a denial coiling had anything to do with failures makes this
all downright scary.

For the large PITA it would be if it started having failures
I sure wouldn't consider it a bargain even if free. I've
done all I can do by calling (again) and asking (again). So
I guess I'll just leave the rest of mine in coils until I
find out how good it really is. If a critical component like
guyline has a failure mode I don't understand (or worse the
manufacturer doesn't understand) I sure don't want it here,
no matter how cheap!

Ken, the fellow I spoke with was the person I was switched
to when I said I had a critical question and needed to speak
to an engineer. I think I posted his name a few weeks ago. I
can't find my notes right now.

73 Tom