Re: [TowerTalk] weather/shack/tower info

To: "TowerTalk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Antenna List" <Antennas@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] weather/shack/tower info
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 15:32:22 -0500

> How about a rundown on the weather station equipment, the weather program,
> the types of camera, etc etc  and how you combine it all into the web page.
> You may have started the newest
> fad....

Gee, never thought it would draw such interest.
Ok
Weather equipment is a Davis Vantage Pro
Outside units are wireless to a Console on Kitchen wall.
USB to computer which runs the Davis weather software which acquires the data,
and puts it
onto the web via a ftp system.

The cameras are cheapo. Inside is a Logitech CCD lens, outside is a old
obsolete 3-Com I
had laying around.
The software for the cams is http://www.webcamxp.com/
Also cheap
And then I used FrontPage to enter the scripts to read the IP of the cameras.

Sounds complicated, and a young kid could probably do it in an hour.
Took me 7 days of trial and error.

But it does take a fairly fast computer and fast inet connection, mine is
Comcast Cable.

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend Dayton, as I'm sure good cheap cameras
and video
servers will be aplenty.

If I can find a good combo at a local hamfest I'll be able to lift the camera
up under the
beam.

Hope this helps and I don't get dinged for 'offtopic'

But I did get a number of "how did you do that's

A man who lives in a glass house should change in the basement.

Bill H. in Chicagoland