Re: [TowerTalk] polyrod

To: Roger K8RI on Tower <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] polyrod
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 11:14:51 -0400
Solar heating of materials is not a "black and white" issue.  You have
to think about wavelengths.  The input from the Sun (after atmospheric
effects) is primarily in the visible wavelengths.  (That's why our
eyes are adapted for it.)  So the heat energy absorbed by your
aluminum plate depends on its absorption (low albedo) in the visible
and near infrared range.

On the other side of the equation, how does the plate _lose_ heat?  If
there is not much conduction or convection (low surface area, low
wind, etc.), it can only lose by radiation.  The peak radiation of a
body in the range of few hundred degrees or less is in the far
infrared.  So, to stay cool, the infrared albedo needs to be low and
the visible albedo to be high.  Things that are reflective (white)
can't radiate their own heat well.  In other words, you want "black"
in infrared and "white" in visible. (That's the greenhouse effect in
reverse.)

The temperature rises until the heat power lost (proportional to
temp**4 in a black body) equals the power received.

White paint doesn't always have good IR properties.  We had to specify
titanium dioxide paint for painting radio telescopes.  It was
expensive, but had the best properties.  Everything stayed safe to
touch even in the summer desert.

More than you wanted to know?

73 Martin AA6E

--