Re: [TowerTalk] M2 monobander -- 20M4DX

To: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>,"'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] M2 monobander -- 20M4DX
From: "SJ W3TX" <superberthaguy@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 22:42:26 -0400
I have seven M2 monobanders up.

Everything has held up well since 1999!  Their designs and QC and customer
service have been excellent.

I've had two mechanical failures...both were acts of nature that NO design
could survive.

The first was when a chunck of ice fell off the 40m3 at 120ft and hit a
director on the 10m7 at 35 feet.  I'm glad it hit the element and not a
person or pet!

The second was when a flock of birds roosted on the 40m3 reflector creating
a force that exceeded the elasticity modulus of the aluminum tip section.
The birds were a little surprised, but none got hurt (if they had I could
fix the birds...I'm a vet).

The birds were back the next day (and every day since) testing the antennas
again...so far the antennas are fine!  With 41 elements on one pole, all the
roosting activity, and the inevitable bird droppings I'm starting to wonder
if I can pay for this hobby by starting a guano factory?  Maybe I need more
elements!!

I like the M2 yagi so much I ordered more for future use.

73, Scott W3TX