[TowerTalk] W3CRA Update

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] W3CRA Update
From: "Greg Surma" <Greg.Surma@wnem.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 16:30:13 -0500
In 1965 our Ford Tin Lizzy Radio Club (Detroit area)  was treated to a
slide show of the W3CRA QTH by K8OHG.  I seem to remember something
about the hill being an old Air Force radar site and having an extensive
grid of buried ground wires.  Fuzzy memories also include  the pix of
the 75A4 and the amplifier, and mention that the room was "...awash in
cigarette butt's".

To a high school student stuck with a DX100 to a vertical there was a
certain thrill in hearing W3CRA working stations on an absolutely dead
band.

I seem to remember an article about the CE0XA expedition from '65 or '66
mentioning that W3CRA was the loudest things on the band down there.

BTW The DX100 and my vertical did manage to snag the CE0 on three bands.

RIP OM.

Greg Surma K8GL