[TowerTalk] Passive VHF Satellite relay Antenna Scheme

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Passive VHF Satellite relay Antenna Scheme
From: David Jordan <wa3gin@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 15:31:23 -0400
Hi Folks,

Does anyone remember the old days of two to three TV channel reception?

Does anyone remember when the local town geek who would go up to the top
of the mountain and install two VHF antennas, one high gain antenna
pointed toward the big city where the TV transmitter towers were located
and one low gain antenna pointed downward toward the small town in the
valley?  He just connected the two antennas with twin lead.  No power
amplifiers (no electricity up there).  This was popular back in the
days...did it work?

Our repeater club is thinking about trying a similar approach to expand
the coverage area of our repeater. We've got some great locations for
placing a passive satellite receiver relay set-up based on this concept
described above. We've got a few ridges around us that block our primary
repeater antenna signals.

The question is does this approach really work?

If yes, is there any magic to the length of coax which connects the two
antennas?

73,
dave
wa3gin