Re: [TowerTalk] 4-square over existing groundscreen

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4-square over existing groundscreen
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 20:49:31 -0400
Peter,

>From my experiences, I won't work nearly as well as having the radials
extending out from the 40m verticals themselves.

Others here can probably offer a better technical explanation as to why, but
I'd say its because with 1/4-wave verticals the electric field near the
antenna is very low; the current the radials are trying to pick up are the
currents that induced by the magnetic field and those currents are
tangential to the magnetic field (and therefore run radially outward from
the vertical, being strongest at the center).

I don't know if thats a full technical explanation, but in experience I
noticed a big difference.  I had a 40/80 meter vertical with many radials
(150, 1/2-wave on 80m).  I put up a 40m 4 square around it.  Later, I took
down the vertical and re-did the radial system to have 480 4/10-wave radials
under each 40m vertical.

I was able to compare the 4 square with the original radial system and with
the new radial system against a 3rd antenna (a wire delta loop) and A/B
tests showed significant improvement.

And, with the single radial system the feedpoint impedance was pretty high.
I don't recall the exact number, but it wasn't nearly as low as the 36 ohms
I got with the radials under each vertical.  That tells me the ground losses
were a lot higher.

73,
Tom, NI1N