Re: [TowerTalk] Microwave path study

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Microwave path study
From: KY1K <ky1k@pivot.net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 21:55:52 -0400
Bill and others....

You can do MUCH better than that. I started out using n2ckh software, but
he suspended further development years ago.

Today, it's Radio Mobile, which is free for non-commercial use and has an
awesome email support group. You have to download your own digital terrain
data, and store it. But, the 30 meter database files are 10 Megabytes each,
or 2 mb if you zip them and cover a degree square. You can also use the 100
meter database too, the files are much smaller to cover much larger areas.

The neat thing about it is that you can do your graphical analysis and
display the digital terrain map any way you want. After the digital terrain
map display is finalized, you can call up a detailed street map or an
aerial photograph from the internet, all automatic and no hassle. I learned
alot of stuff about my local geography from it. For a few extra dollars,
you can use any commercial image source via the internet, but 1 and 2 meter
resolution aerial photos are free for non commercial use.

You can use any type of overlay, provided you know the longitude and
latitude of each corner of the image, which has alot of potential to do
some pretty awesome work.

It is designed primarily to predict signal strength between 2 fixed points
where you define radios, frequency of operation, feedline loss, antennas
and tower heights and press go. It gives signal strength is microvolts!

I also use it for predicting optical line of sight for laser work-you
display 4 grids, define the transmitter location and then press go. It
illuminates all the surrounding area that has line of sight coverage to
that peak. After it's done with the display of the terrain data, you press
'get internet map' and it downloads and overlays a map showing roads and
cities (scaled to the same dimensions as the digital terrain map is).

I don't want to start a ruckus, but, for me, the software confirmed that
there is no line of sight coverage between Pack Manadonock and Mount
Washington...despite some adamant claims that the los path exists from some
very prominent microwave types. Ditto the alleged line of sight path
between Mount Washington and Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park. The
Maine Forest Ranger at Mount Katahdan (Baxter State Park) was very
interested to learn that there is no line of sight path to Mount
Washington-I showed him the actual peak he was seeing. He had been telling
people for quite a few years that Mount Washington could be seen on a clear
day:>: The software confirms the 109 mile line of sight path between Mount
Washington and Mount Marcey in NY.

It even has a mode to display the peaks visible from a given hilltop
(panoramic view), so you can compare the screen to the actual view and tell
which little bump is which as you look off in a given direction.

http://www.qsl.net/ve2dbe/

Have fun, great email group. I've learned alot.

Art