[TowerTalk] Short Ground Rods??

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Short Ground Rods??
From: <kk9a@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 19:00:04 -0000
I have a worse problem at my P40A home.  I could only install 2' long ground
rods before hitting hard coral.  I simply used more of them and placed them
2 - 3' apart using 1 1/2" copper strap and Polyphaser hardware.

73,
John

From: WarrenWolff@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 01:25:52 EDT

Greetings TTalkers,

I just heard from a friend who lives at Lake Havasu City
AZ  where I will be moving fairly soon.

We were having an exchange, and I mentioned the seven  (or
maybe more) 20 foot radials with 8 foot ground rods each  10
feet.  These are planned at the base of my 70 ft tower.  I  also
plan five similar radials at my SPG.

Well, my friend advises that none of his ground rods  went
deeper than 4 feet!  Rocks!!  I knew there were rocks,  but
not this bad.

I have been led to believe that all I need to do is saw them  off
at whatever depth they go and zap them with one shots.

Well, now, I am wondering if this means I should set  twice
as many ground rods at five foot intervals rather than10  ft?

Comments plus experience, please.

Regards,
Warren Wolff;
W5KKW; Extra Class;