Re: [TowerTalk] How far from the house?

To: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <nv8a@att.net>,"towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How far from the house?
From: "Roger K8RI on Tower" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 00:09:51 -0400
I have two towers, One http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower.htm is
about 10' from the corner of the garage.  My Cat-5e gigabit network cable
runs within 10' of the tower base.  The second tower which is on the west
end of the shop is mounted right up against the end of the roof overhang.

Prior to the big tower I had a 90' that was about 30 feet south of the
current large tower and only a few feet from the back wall of the garage and
about 10' north of the NW corner of a bedroom..

I did have some damage from a direct hit on the old tower that blew the 7/8"
Heliax to the Midland repeater and took out the front end of a 2-meter rig
in the shack.

The big tower takes about three direct hits a summer and so far it's done
right well.   OTOH I have something like 600 feet of bare #2 copper burried
with about 32 8' ground rods cad welded into the network.  I've really
forgotten just how many ground rods are in the system.

Ron may say to put the tower out at least 25 feet, but I seriously doubt
it'd make much difference.  I was sitting here operating last summer when
the tower took a direct hit.  The only thing that happened was the network
reset which only took 2 or 3 seconds.  There are 4 state-of-the-art (or at
least they were) computers on the network. None missed a beat.

I think a good ground system and a good common point ground are essential.
Beyond that I don't think it makes much difference where you place the
tower.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com