[TowerTalk] How Far from the house not to effect antenna pattern?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] How Far from the house not to effect antenna pattern?
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 10:59:14 EDT

Hi Guys,

One question I have always had about towers that are placed near the  house
is how much does the house wiring and gutters effect the antenna  radiation
pattern?

And if the house has a metal roof ... what effect does  the metal roof have
on the radiation pattern?  I ask because I've been  considering a metal roof.

One thing I have experienced first hand with towers near a house is
increased QRN.  Guess that's a no brainer but it's a factor worth  considering
if one
has the option to locate the tower a good distance away from  the house.

73, Dick- K9OM

I also know, that there are millions (literally) of towers put  within 4-5
feet, if not closer, to homes, with no coupling issues.

I  wouldn't go so far as to say that.

The accurate way to say that would  be....

I also know, that there are millions (literally) of towers
put within  4-5 feet, if not closer, to homes, THAT HAVE
NEVER SUFFERED SEVERE DAMAGE  ...BUT OF COURSE THEY MAY NEVER
HAVE BEEN HIT EITHER.

It makes perfect  sense that planting a tower next to the
house is significantly worse than  having it some distance
away. Even a small distance of a few feet is better  than
bolted directly to the house.

I think the suggestion of some  spacing is a good one, even
if the "required distance" is a number pulled out  of an area
near someone's back  pocket.