Re: [TowerTalk] antenna impedance anomaly

To: alwilliams@olywa.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antenna impedance anomaly
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 13:43:18 EDT

In a message dated 5/27/2005 12:39:07 P.M. Central Standard Time,
alwilliams@olywa.net writes:

Not too  long ago, when I asked why reflectors of a Yagi are longer than the
driven  element and directors of a Yagi are shorter than the driven element,
several  Towertalkians advised me to look at the current table output.  In
particular to look at the phase angle of the segments.  One respondent  advised
that the reason is that "....that is the way it is..."!  At first  I scoffed at
this response but after thinking about the difficulty of adding  the current
phase angle to the time delay angle caused by the separation  between elements
for all combination of segments, I decided that yes, that is  the way it is.
What the computer can do in a fraction of a second is  beyond what I could do.

However I "discovered" what seems very odd to  me and am hoping that
Towertalkians can  explain it.

I modeled a  40 meter dipole at 60' above medium ground using EZNEC with
real/high  accuracy.  At resonance the source impedance angle was reduced to
zero
and for frequencies above resonance the phase angle started increasing
positively (inductive).  For frequencies below resonance the phase angle
started
increasing negatively (capacitive).  This is in agreement with  what antenna
books inform us.

But the phase angle of each segment  (except the center one) always was
negative with increasing angle as the  segment chosen goes to the end of the
element.
(In this case 31 segments  per element).  This negative phase angle was
reported for both higher and  lower frequencies (equivalent to shorter and
longer
elements?).

Why do  individual segments always show a capacitive phase angle while the
whole  element will show either capacitive, zero, or inductive phase  angle?

k7puc

See:  http://www.mscomputer.com  for "Self Supporting Towers", "Wireless
Weather Stations", and lot's more.  Call Toll Free, 1-800-333-9041 with  any
questions and ask for Sherman,  W2FLA.

Could it be that since the segments are so short compared a resonant length
that they, like short antennas, show up as highly capacitive?

73/K5GW