[TowerTalk] Don't do it, Bob!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Don't do it, Bob!
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 20:37:17 -0400
ah, the chores of edited-commenting...
even though I'm sure y'all followed this one closely...

Bob, W7BJ wrote: (and I excise...)

Evening/morning all,
My wife and I are celebrating tonight.
Now.  I have an idea.
What I propose to do is install 120' of Rohn 55G with four yagis.
Total dead weight will be approximately 1700#.
Now for the fun part, how to get this monstrosity up in the air.

To which Steve, K7LXC responded:

HOLY CRAP! Unless you're a REALLY CLEVER engineer and
fabricator, please don't do it. The pucker factor involved in the operation
of this
structure is HUGE!

To which, I will append:

Bob...keep the celebration going...get good and snockered, and
go hire someone to put up the tower without the foldover crap.
It will be cheaper in the long run, and you'll not only sleep at
night, you might actually not be in pain doing so.

I won't calculate the forces here, but I can, if you need it. (offline)
Suffice it to say that you will need to back-guy the bloody house.
The roof trusses are NOT stressed for lateral loads, just vertical
loads...and as that thing lays toward the horizontal, the loads climb
as even my high school geometry teacher could calculate.
(CosineX is...?)

I speak as one who has designed/installed 45G foldover 60', unguyed,
house bracketed, with folding mast-boom brackets & cet.  All was well with
the
tower, and I STILL bloody hurt myself doing routine maintenance, owing to a
silly-ass
human error.  The broken ribs will ache at every barometric shift, unto my
grave.
((a two step stepladder, a flat roof to access the horizontal folded tower,
and
a pair of muck shoes.  Don't EVER wear muck shoes, for anything except cow
muck.
They slip!!))((The intimate dance with the blasted ladder was amazing, until
I hit
the skylight. You know you CAN'T make a ladder tuck 'n roll?))

Not only did I become an intimate correspondant with a corner of the boxed
skylight, I
started a blasted leak in my flat roof, which remained undetected until it
caused
10k in damage.

My recommendation:  No foldover.  Simple installation, professionally
assisted.
Spend quality time with your bride, and keep smiling.  Uncle Steve may be
willing
to quote installation, or perhaps can recommend a local contractor.

Been there, done that, including at W3GM's.  Call me if questions.

Best,
N2EA
410 439 1073 office
jimjarvis@ieee.org