Re: [TowerTalk] portable verticals with crummy ground radials

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] portable verticals with crummy ground radials
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 19:21:07 -0700
I've got a book here with some old G.H. Brown data.
This is probably ~1 MHz data. It shows about a 6dB
difference between 2 quarter-wave ground-mounted
radials and 15 quarter-wave ground-mounted radials
for a .05 to .07 wavelength vertical radiator. For a full-
quarter-wavelength, this difference is smaller (~2.5dB).
It would be interesting to see if NEC-4 predicts Brown's
results which were presumeably obtained via carefully
conducted experiments.

Sevick also has some interesting observations regarding
short-verticals with abbreviated radial systems in the last
chapter of his book "Building and Using Baluns and
Ununs". His data seems to suggest that for a reasonable
electrical height, the difference between a sparse system
(four 1/16 wl radials and a more dense system - say
40 1/16 wl radials isn't all that much with minimum
efficiency on the order of 50%). Of course, Sevick's
data shows that the 1/16 wavelength radials are more
efficient than the 1/4 wavelength radials, but I assume
this is a typo in the plot legend.

I would suggest that a worthwhile experiment would
be to put a reference antenna with a lot of radials and
then erect a test antenna several hundred feet away
with a sparse system and then do a bunch of A-B tests
on the air. Take away radials from the test antenna until
the degradation from the reference is no longer bearable :)