[TowerTalk] Pad and Pier Foundations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Pad and Pier Foundations
From: "Fred Mott" <fredmottcpa@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 17:06:03 -0400
I recently installed new guy anchors using a smaller concrete pier poured at
the same time as the foundation.  I had my 10 year old grandson (with the
guidance of my son-in-law) dig the holes with a back hoe.   For the foundation
I built a concrete form using 5/8 green drywall and laid some extra rebar on
the top of the drywall where the rebar cage extended up for the pier.  On top
of those rebars I laid a sono tube (circular concrete form, trade name
SonoTube).  I also packed dirt around the drywall forms before the pour.  The
hole was filled with concrete slightly above the lower form holding the sono
tube in place.  Then the concrete was poured into the sono tube with the guy
anchor extending out.  I also had a couple of levels handle to keep the sono
tubes perfectly vertical.  View the following site for a picture of a concrete
pier constructed with a sono tube
http://www.allchurchsound.com/ACS/edart/sono1.html.  You may also use google to
search for sono tubes.  I purcha
 sed my SonoTube from a concrete business.  They come in different diameters
and lengths and they be cut to length.  The day after the pour, I covered the
the lower foundation with some of the extra dirt.  I am leaving my sono tubes
on for at least 1 year so the concrete will have a long and slow cure for extra
strength.  The top of the sono tube is covered with a white plastic sheet to
retain the moisture.  To protect my yard I had the cement truck park on the
street and the cement was transported by a concrete buggy.