Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum tinker toy tower

To: "Gene Bigham" <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum tinker toy tower
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 19:57:31 -0500
At 05:42 PM 7/7/2005, Gene Bigham wrote:
>I remember back in 1978 or so I purchased what I remember to have
>been a Wilson tower that was a tinker toy to assemble.  It was all
>aluminum had tubes that were pinched on their ends and went together
>with bolts at all junctions.
>I purchased this tower for shipment to the Philippine Islands, as I
>was going there, since it was light and small in packaging.
>Does anyone remember this tower design?  Is this still available?
>Thanks
>Gene Bigham KB0GU

Gene--

As supplied, the tower had a critical, even fatal, flaw in the way the sections
were joined together.  The joints internal to a section were OK, although the
thing looked a bit strange from some angles, but at each joint there was a
plate for hooking the sections together and this plate would easily bend.

If the entire tower is bolted together as a continuous unit it is not
too bad of
a tower, but you have to sacrifice some sections to use some of the parts
to replace the joint splices with continuous tower.

For the life of me I can't recall the name of the stuff but I still
have a dozen
or so sections in their original boxes at my CO place.

NO, I don't want to sell any.  I have them for their "cuteness" value not their
value as a tower.  And I have a "secret" plan for them someday.    ;-)

Gee, I think they are called TETRA tower -- at least that is the name that
pops in to my head at the moment.

73  John  W0UN