Re: [TowerTalk] Water in my XM240

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Water in my XM240
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 17:16:18 -0500
An additional note:  I just found out that the loading coils on this
antenna are not wound on solid rods like I had thought, they are wound
on tubes.  So a leak anywhere in the element can send water throughout
the whole element.  But that makes it even more important that the
antenna be sealed against water or provide a way to drain it.  Water
accumulation inside the loading coil can make the performance go to crap
in a hurry. Probably the reason I was having trouble with the initial
SWR check.

So any suggestions are appreciated.  Also would like some opinions on
using Noalox on joints.  While this antenna is still on the ground, any
other suggestions for correcting common problems would also be
appreciated, such as the end segment problem, W4ZW contributed, thanks Jon.

Jerry, K4SAV