Re: [TowerTalk] dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dipole
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:15:32 -0500
That might be interesting.  Assuming you are not using the hairpin
match, you may be able to get some operation on other bands. The SWR at
the antenna should be very high, but the SWR seen by the tuner can be
most anything depending upon the length of your transmission line, and
you will need ladder line, not coax.  If you hook this up and you have
trouble getting a match, change the length of your transmission line.
If you run high power your tuner may complain.

The performance is not going to be stellar, but it may be OK. 10 and 14
MHz should be pretty good (similar to a dipole), 18 MHz should be pretty
good broadside to the dipole but with a narrow beamwidth and not very
good to the sides, 21 MHz will have a bunch of lobes, 25 and 28 MHz will
be similar to 18 MHz, good gain broadside to the antenna but with narrow
beamwidth and not very good off the ends.

It might be a worthwhile experiment.  If this thing is on a rotator so
that you can turn it parallel to the direction you need, you may like
it, assuming you can get your tuner to match it.

Jerry, K4SAV