Re: [TowerTalk] Pad and Pier Foundations

To: "'Bob Smith'" <na6t@na6t.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pad and Pier Foundations
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:07:23 -0400
I've only done one tower base, but I agree with Bob and Steve.

I hired a contractor to do the base for my UST MA-770MDP 72' tubular tower.
As I recall, the spec called for a 3'x3'x6' hole. Despite using his smallest
scoop, the guy on the excavator, who was quite experienced and a real artist
with the machine (he had done a lot of work on our house remodeling and
driveway overhaul) was not able to dig a perfectly square hole. It ended up
sort of pyramid shape. The guy dug the hole too deep -- I think it was 9' --
and had to refill the bottom with a couple of feet of gravel. I don't recall
the exact measurements, but I think the top is something like 4'x4' or
4'x5'and the bottom is even wider -- perhaps as much as 5'x6'. And the hole
is at least 7' deep. It should have taken 2-3 of yards of concrete to do the
job, but they told me it took most of a truckload -- 9 yards, I think. I
don't know if they were trying to churn the fee or if that was what it took,
but as I'd made a fixed-price deal with the contractor on the base he had to
eat the difference. He complained, but I held him to it -- after all, they
missed the spec by a mile. Besides, his company made plenty on the house and
driveway!

Anyhow, there's no way that giant pyramid of concrete is going anywhere. The
cable on the MA-770MDP will fail long before the pier moves.

I also agree with whoever said these pad-pier base designs are rediculous. I
looked at getting an AN-Wireless tower, which is otherwise a nice
cost-effective solution for medium loads, and couldn't get past the base
design. They seem to sell a lot of towers to amateurs, so they really should
rethink the base. BTW, both the fixed Bertha and Big Bertha sold by Array
Solutions use a square block type base. Those monsters have *huge* windload
capacity. I don't have specs on the base, but judging from some pictures
I've seen the fixed Bertha base is on the order of 6'x'6'x6'. Although I've
stood on the base for NT1Y's Big Bertha (140' rotating pole that's something
like 3 feet in diameter at the base) and *that's* a real chunk of concrete.

73, Dick WC1M