Re: [TowerTalk] Remote control

To: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote control
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:53:34 -0700
At 06:32 AM 7/21/2005, Keith Dutson wrote:
>A switch like this would typically need several ma of current to activate.
>For this reason I would not use RF.  I do not think it is practical.  Use a
>trap instead.
>
>73, Keith NM5G

I think he was thinking about a DC control signal. However, you raise a
fascinating idea.  A small latching relay doesn't take much energy to
actuate (a few milliseconds of 30 mA at 24V, for instance).  You could have
a tuned circuit that detects 20m and latches the relay one way. Then, you
have another (passive) circuit that detects the 40m power and latches the
relay the other way.   Even if the relay took a whole watt to operate,
you'd never even notice it out of the 100 or so watts you would be radiating.

The overall losses of the system could be made much less than those of a
trap, albeit there is a complexity issue.