Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing gear

To: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing gear
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:22:47 +0000
TT:

     While respecting Alan NV8A's decisions regarding his own safety on his
tower, I agree with Pat AA6EG, below, that the Buckingham safety belt is very
ruggedly built and a standard item of safety equipment for professionals for
years.

     While we're on the subject of watching what we're doing with our equipment
on a tower, let me reiterate what I've seen written on TowerTalk many times:
When you fasten your positioning belt on a tower, LISTEN, FEEL and LOOK.
LISTEN to the hardware snap into place on the D-ring.  FEEL that it has
actually closed into position, with its safety release catch (your positioning
belt has one, doesn't it?) firmly closed as well.  And LOOK to see that the
snaps are all closed and in position.  All this should be done BEFORE you lean
back into your safety harness.

     BTW - The main release snaps on your positioning belt should face AWAY
from your waist belt.  In this way you can't roll into the release snap and
loosen it with the D-ring.  And here's where the safety release catch comes
into play - you have to release IT, on the opposite side of the main catch,
before you can disengage your belt from the tower.  These safety catches can't
be rolled into and released.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F