Re: [TowerTalk] Looking For Monobanders Pacific NW Area

To: <mwdink@eskimo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking For Monobanders Pacific NW Area
From: "W7TMT" <w7tmt@dayshaw.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 18:06:48 -0700
The real problem with Boeing surplus is that we (Boeing) don't "build"
aircraft anymore. We are now officially a "Large Scale Systems
Integrator". Translated that means that a huge and growing amount of
the work is done elsewhere and "we" (that would be Boeing) just
assemble the major pieces here in Puget Sound and slap the Boeing logo
on them.  As a result the once great source of tubing and other raw
materials simply has dried up. If you want used office furniture or
out-of-date PC's (suitable for running DOS apps and therefore of
interest to many Hams) then the surplus store has what you want.

Regarding the price issue... a few years ago before the raw stock fell
to near zero, the "Surplus Center" became a profit center and at it's
peak actually generated nearly $56 million dollars of income for the
company in a single year. The old days of cheap and plentiful raw
materials, tools etc. are now a dim memory (along with 45,000 American
jobs.)

73
Patrick
W7TMT