Re: [TowerTalk] Preload and Tension

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Preload and Tension
From: Steve Maki <steve@oakcom.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 23:45:41 -0400
Pre-tension is so named because it's the tension in
a guy with no wind present (pre-wind, I guess). I like
"initial tension" better.

Obviously, the exact amount of pre-tension is less important
on a lightly loaded tower than a heavily loaded one. We get called
occasionally to retension guys on towers where they are trying
to push the loading a bit without doing an expensive beef-up. We
might relax some bays to 7% and tighten others to 15% on the same
tower. That seems to be the most common range.

73,
Steve K8LX