Re: [TowerTalk] Why preload guy lines?

To: fsense@copper.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Why preload guy lines?
From: k7lxc@aol.com
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 14:54:14 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Floyd Sense <fsense@copper.net>
To: K7LXC@aol.com; towertalk@contesting.com
Sent: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 11:45:10 -0400

>>   Steve - since you brought this up, I have a related question for
you. When I first read the Loos literature at their website, they made
it plain that their gauges were calibrated for the stainless lines used
on boats. I figured that the way the gauges work it was possible that a
stainless line and an EHS line of the same diameter might produce
different readings when tensioned to the same amount (the EHS is a lot
stiffer, right?). So, I asked the Loos people about that and they told
me to contact YOU with the question! Never did that, so am doing it
now. Do you know if there is any difference in the measured tension on
the two types of guy lines that have been adjusted to the same tension
with the conventional type of gauge?

>>  For those who haven't used one, the Loos gauge is definitely the
way to go and makes checking the tension periodically very easy.

     When any wire or cable is tightened, it becomes more rod-like. At
that point it doesn't really make any difference what the material is -
it still exhibits the same property - and deflection, which is what
you're measuring. If cables are the same size, they'll read the same.
I've even measured Phillystran with one (it'll only measure the
HPTG4000 - it's the only one that'll fit into the mouth of the gauge).

     You'll nootice that the Loos is about a foot long. It's just
measuring the deflection in whatever it's attached to. I think there
are just some simple physics involved to measure the tension.  The Loos
gauge was designed for sailboat rigging but measuring other cables is
no problem.

     You may have noticed that these are not official engineering-type
answers since I'm not one. This is my understanding of them.

Cheers,
Steve   K7LXC
TOWER TECH