Re: [TowerTalk] 160 inverte L

To: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>,"Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 inverte L
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:41:29 -0400
> This is the model 259, not the 259B. It has 2 meters, 1 is
"SWR" and the
> other is "resistance.".

Tom,

First... I disagree with the wording on that meter. That
meter is labeled resistance, but it is really only
resistance under certain specific conditions. Outside of
those very specific conditions, where SWR meter reading is
moderately low and you tune to the point where SWR reading
crosses a very clear minimum, that meter isn't telling you
resistance at all! You may not have 40 ohms of anything,
unless it is at a clear SWR minimum point.

The 259B cured that problem.

Second...we often hear people say a complex impedance of
nearly 50 ohms containing some X and some R will produce a
low SWR. That's wrong too.

The only way SWR would read near 1:1 is if reactance is
nearly zero.

73 Tom