Re: [TowerTalk] SCREW IN ANCHORS

To: N4BAA - JOSE CASTILLO <n4baa@cox.net>,towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SCREW IN ANCHORS
From: Bill Aycock <baycock@direcway.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:09:08 -0500
Jose-
I installed five of the large CHANCE anchors when I put my Rohn 25
Fold-over in. The Chance anchors were an Over-Kill, but the price was right
and a safety margin usually helps.
I went to the local Tool Rental store and rented an electric driver of the
type used by Mobile Home Set-up crews. These are usually a worm drive
electric motor with an adapter to catch the eye on the anchor, and a
switch. the switch is reversible, and, for safety, is "momentary" so the
system stops if you slip.
For mobile home use, with smaller anchors, the unit is just hand held with
a pipe bar. For the Chance anchors, you may have to brace the bar on the
ground.
An alternative, that I have not needed to use, is the local Utility
Company. They have hydraulic drives for working with such anchors, and they
do it FAST.
Good luck- and- be careful-Bill-W4BSG

At 08:37 PM 8/22/2005 -0400, N4BAA - JOSE CASTILLO wrote:

>TT Guys and Gals,
>
>What is the easiest way to remove and install LARGE AB
>CHANCE guy anchors?  I am in the Navy and once again having
>to "UPROOT" my towers and plant them else where.....
>
>I spent two days on EACH guy anchor manually screwing them
>in...and I AM NOT DOING THAT AGAIN....HI HI..I will probably
>   cut them off if need be and do something else at the new
>QTH...
>
>Isn't there a way to drive them in with a machine?  I can't
>get the TELEPHONE companies truck where I need them to
>be...but a backhoe and or bobcat will make it easily...
>
>Is there an attachment I can look for!!!!????
>
>HELP!!!!
>
>Jose Castillo - N4BAA

Bill Aycock - W4BSG
Woodville, Alabama