Re: [TowerTalk] Static build-up on antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Static build-up on antennas
From: "Barry Fox" <foxbw@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 09:55:13 -0500
Hi All,
While in the USAF I spent the winter of 67 - 68 in VO2-land.
(Goose Bay, Labrador).  My squadron maintained a ground-to-air
TX site a few miles from the main base.  The antennas were all
UHF and VHF discones atop 90 foot poles, fed with some serious
coax.  The feedlines (if I remember correctly, 20 of them)
entered the concrete block building then were layed along
the top of an aluminum ladder hung horizontally behind the
TX racks, thence to the individual TXs.
BTW, VO2 is VERY dry in the winter.

Whenever it snowed (quite often) we made it a point to visit
the site, turn off all the lights and watch the arcs pop
through the coax to the ladder, accompanied by a similar
chorus of Rice Krispies being hit by milk.  We also kept a
close eye on the SWR of these antennas and when it got out
of hand, the outside plant maintance guys got to change out
some coax usually during a freezing cold, but clear day.
Thankfully, that was not not one of my jobs.

Fond memories of my youth.
73,
Barry - W1HFN
ex-VO2HA operator