Re: [TowerTalk] rotator cable source [and other control cables]

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rotator cable source [and other control cables]
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 11:42:56 -0700
At 07:01 AM 9/3/2005, Pete Smith wrote:
>It is always worth remembering that, most likely, only the motor lines
>require large conductors.  Control cables, including the position
>indicating pots, relay boxes, and the like may be able to get by with very
>small conductors.  My tower is 250 feet from the shack, and I do quite
>comfortably with CAT3 network cable to control TopTen relay boxes.  I did
>the math, and the voltage drop over that distance is only a couple of
>tenths of a volt, particularly since I parallel the two blue wires to
>supply the 13 volts.
>
>I also use garden-variety DIN plugs/jacks in my shack entry bulkhead for
>control cables, ever since I found out that their individual contacts are
>each rated at 1 amp at ~100 volts.

XLRs (3 pin variety) have 125V, 10A rated pins.  higher pin count XLRs have
lower current ratings.

The very inexpensive AMP Circular Plastic Connectors (look like plastic
versions of the circular MIL-STD ones) have all manner of ratings.  A 10
pin connector with 20A contacts is probably less than $5, and is really
rugged.  You can get gaskets, etc. to make these waterproof, too.

Anderson PowerPole connectors are also rated up to 600V, and enormous
currents, too.