Re: [TowerTalk] [BULK] - Connectors and cable prep tools for Time sLMR-4

To: 'Dick Dievendorff' <dieven@msn.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [BULK] - Connectors and cable prep tools for Time sLMR-400
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 15:57:56 -0700

>I have had mixed success installing "normal" solder-on Amphenol PL-259 male
UHF connectors.  I don't really enjoy the process, nor am I confident of
their long-term viability when I install connectors.  I have more than a
dozen connectors to install.<

::Not many, this should take an hour or so, unless the cables are all run
outside already.

>I'd like to pick the brain of someone who has used some of the newer style
connectors for Times LMR 400.  What do you use for UHF connectors?<

::Amphenol 83-1SP or silver-plated, PTFE-dielectric UHFs from a variety of
sources including The RF Connection in Gaithersburg, MD.

>N connectors?  Times Microwave offers connectors and I have a copy of RF
Industry's connector catalog.  What do hams really use for LMR 400?<

::Conventional (military type) N connectors don't fit LMR400 all that well.
You need an oversized (hogged or milled-out) center pin because LMR400
center conductor is #10AWG and the N connector is made for #13AWG.  The
special, reworked center pins are readily available and often sold with N
connectors as "specialty" connectors for LMR400, 9913 and other similar
low-loss cables.  However, that only addresses one issue, that being the
center pin.  The other issue, which is the braid clamp assembly, is not
addressed by these at all.  The fact is, LMR400, like 9913 and many other
"amateur" low-loss cables, is slightly undersized compared with real RG214/U
which most type Ns (UG21B/U, UG21D/U, etc) were designed for.  As such, the
braid clamp never really does the job quite properly, making for
loose-fitting connectors even when they're tightened to death using two
open-end wrenches.  UHFs actually fit better.

>I see that there are some cable prep tools available that appear to strip
the coax to the right length for certain specific connectors.  Any
experience to share here?<

::Sure.  I'd double my money by folding it in half and putting it back in my
pocket, and then use a single-edge razor blade and my hands to do the
stripping.  Works perfectly and does the job exactly right with nothing to
adjust.  Some prefer linoleum knives, X-Acto knives and such, but I like the
single-edged razor blade because it puts my cutting edge within 1/2" of my
fingers, so I get a very good "feel" for the work and know exactly how much
pressure to apply to do the job perfectly.  Then again, I've installed
probably 10,000 connectors this way over the years, so maybe now the feel is
so ingrained I don't think about it.  I find one good blade is good for
about ten connector installations, then I toss it and use a new one.  They
only cost twelve cents each, in bulk.

-WB2WIK/6