Re: [TowerTalk] Critter Chronicles

To: "Bill G. K3SV" <k3sv@direcway.com>,"Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Critter Chronicles
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 21:35:02 -0400

> Well, I hope the mothballs work. In the spring I had nests in several
> outside locations. Some were inside electrical control circuitry for
> outside heaters and lights, chewed wires in half, basically made a total
> mess of everything. I'm beginning the "mothball placement" and hope like
> heck that it works. Those buggers are VERY destructive. The sight of the
> mothers with "babes-a-milking" running down the deck has been an all to
> frequent happening. The year before they destroyed all of the cushions
> for the outdoor furniture, last fall I put all of the "bedding"
> material, like cushions, in the basement and not in outside storage
> areas. Countless things have been destroyed by mice and chipmunks. The
> Chevy truck had it's firewall insulation chewed away last winter, and
> the truck only sits for a day or two in the winter. Was thinking of
> renting a military flame thrower.. (just kidding). To top it off, the
> lady of the house HATES the smell of mothballs.

Get a Cat, hope he's a good mouser, and don't get it declawed.
In the fall they can get into the house through openings that you'd think
would be impossible, but them little critters can flatten themselves to an
unbelieveable extent.  Of course if there's a hungry cat on the inside of
the wall... <:-))  OTOH it costs a small fortune to feed a 16# cat and help
send the Vet's kids through college.  Oh, yah... and the scars to prove he's
not declawed. However he/it did go to the vet for an attitude change.  He
still wants to go out at night, he just doesn't remember why.

Oh, yah. We had to raise all the bird feeders up to the point where we have
to use a step ladder to fill them. He can pick a bird out of the air at over
6 feet.

I do throw moth balls into the conduit and junction boxes outside.  With the
conduit plugged off at the wall there isn't any smell that comes in.

Our biggest problem is Wasps, Hornets, and Yellowjackets and the cat is no
help there.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD
www.rogerhalstead.com