Re: [TowerTalk] ICE 303 MOV specs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ICE 303 MOV specs
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:47:02 -0500
The ICE 303 should be using a gas filled surge suppressor, not an MOV.
MOV's have high capacitance and are suitable for control lines, but not
for RF lines.  A typical MOV may have 350pf capacitance while a gas
filled suppressor may have 1pf.  Sorry, I don't have the part number for
the ICE replacement.  I have been making my own suppressors.  $2 to $4
for a suppressor beats the $50 to $60 for the ready-made ones with
connectors.  I have also been making my own suppressors for control
lines.  MOV's are 15 to 20 cents each.

Jerry, K4SAV