[TowerTalk] 6lb Moxon "tower"?

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 6lb Moxon "tower"?
From: "Jim Miller" <jim@jtmiller.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:19:23 -0400
I'm building a 20M Moxon which will weigh about 6lbs. Rotation by
Armstrong... I live in a antenna restricted neighborhood and would like to
erect the antenna on an "as needed" basis on some sort of 30ft pushup tower.
I have no experience with such antenna supports.

The antenna is designed to be rapidly and easily assembled in about 5
minutes. I'd like the "tower" to be also easily erected if possible. My
backyard includes a deck which could provide support to the first 8ft of the
"tower". I'd like the remainder to be self supporting of itself and the six
pounds of antenna. This doesn't need to be a backpackable tower; 8ft or so
sections would be fine.

This structure doesn't need to survive storm winds or icing but it would be
nice to leave it up to work in 25mph breezes. The antenna elements are made
from four 16ft tapered telescoping crappie poles and strung with #18awg so
should present a fairly low wind cross section.

I've seen 30ft galvanized tubular pushups at Lowes for $50 or so which have
included guy rings. I'd like to avoid guying if possible. Any hope for one
of these without guys to support in the manner described?

I've looked at the specs of the telescoping antenna poles and they appear to
be too willowy to meet the requirements. There are some flagpoles which are
telescoping however that seem to withstand a nasty windload while flying a
pretty good size flag. One example is
http://www.sunsetter.com/FlagpoleProducts.asp. Big bux however...

Anyone had any experience with one of these?

Am I completely out of luck? If absolutely necessary I suppose I could put
down a three small ground screw anchors that I could cover over when not in
use and use them as guy anchors...

Suggestions welcome.

73

jim ab3cv