Re: [TowerTalk] Stub tuning

To: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>,"Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stub tuning
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:42:23 -0400
> I'm trying to get the stubs hooked up here.  I cut some
and they are right
> where I want them to be, using the MFJ tuner option.

How do you know that Tom?

How do we know what you are trying to do? Are these 1/4 wl
shorted stubs designed to act as an open circuit at
fundamental and short the 2 nd harmonic? Or what?

I'm going to assume they are a bandpass stub.....

> I cut the 20 meter one right at the meter and wanted to
hook them up on the
> outside of my antenna switch.  Going from the rig, there
is about a 3 foot
> cable to the MFJ tuner/swr bridge.  Going from there is
about a 3 foot cable
> to the homebrew antenna switch.

Assuming a shunt stub used for "bandpass" of one band or odd
harmonics of that band, length of cables or where it is at
in the system doesn't matter except for attenuation. A
shorted stub should be 1/4 wl long at the lowest desired
pass frequency. Always. It will also pass at odd multiples
of the lowest F.

> Problem is, when I move the stub from the bridge to the
output of the
> antenna switch, I would think it would be too long and
would have to cut
> some off.  What is happening is that instead of the stub
being on 14.100
> (where I want it), it moves up frequency to about 15.500
instead of going
> lower if frequency as they are now about 6' longer.  Can't
figure what is
> going on.  There is no dip down below 14.100.  Any ideas?

What are you trying to do Tom?? That's the first thing
anyone would have to know otherwise every answer is a guess.

73 Tom