[TowerTalk] Cables up the tower

To: "'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cables up the tower
From: "Fred Mott CPA Inc" <fredmottcpa@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:43:19 -0400
1.      I have Andrews 7/8 Helix from the shack to the tower top.  What coax
(with type N connectors) would you recommend to go up the mast to the
antenna?

2.      I can install my rotor and SteppIR control cable up the inside of
the tower either with 1 inch plastic conduit, which would be ½ inch from the
tower legs so the plastic conduit will be free to move up and down with
temperature and weather change.   Or I could secure it directly inside the
tower secured by SS hose clamps over rubber tape and or Scotch 88 tape.   I
read some time ago that running the cables inside the tower framework next
to one of the legs would add act as a faraday shield which would help
protect the lines from EMP (nearby lightning).  The problem with it secured
directly to the tower leg would cause the SteppIR control cable to turn
color and maybe have a premature life.  The plastic conduit is the type that
is UV protected.  I would only have to have a small nylon rope taped to it
every so often to prevent the cable from stretching from its own weight.
The nylon rope would be secured in a conduit box at the top of the tower.  I
prefer the conduit but what if lightning does hit, will the cables have the
same protection inside the conduit verses secured directly to the tower leg
inside the tower.  What do you think or prefer assuming that the extra work
and cost were not a variable?

Fred Mott, AB8AH