Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum longevity?

To: "Clive Whelan" <clive@gw3njw.org>,"TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum longevity?
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 01:47:10 -0400
Remember that when you look at a shiny piece of aluminum you are still
looking at a layer of oxide.  Aluminum Oxide forms almost instantly and is a
means of protection.  Out in the weather the oxide layer will thicken and
turn white.  This is not harmful to the operation of the antenna either.
OTOH a layer of the thicker oxide makes the slip fit element connections
less conductive, BUT generally just sliding the elements togther will scrape
through the oxide layer is some spots.  It's also the reason we use "star"
washers when making electrical connections to Aluminum.

> Aluminium WILL corrode in any environment, as will virtually any metal,
> except Gold, Platinum etc. Corrosion IS oxidation, that's the chemical
> process, which required Oxygen ( obviously) and moisture ( inevitable).
> Acidic and Chloride rich environments will exacerbate the process. If you

Aluminum is particularly reactive with basic solutions.

> check the dull surface, you will see white spots, and these are indeed
> Aluminium oxide. It is a significant problem only in terms of electrical

Not just the spots, the whole surface is a layer of oxide. They are usually
from water on the aluminum or water and salt solutions.

> continuity, so protect the joints between tubes as far as possible. As far
> as mechanical degradation is concerned, I am more worried about being hit
> by
> an alien spacecraft!

A conductive grease will protect the joint and the scraping of the element
going together will cut through the normal thin layer of oxide.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com