Re: [TowerTalk] [BULK] - Re: Coax

To: 'K8RI on Tower talk' <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,Craig Thompson <craig@thompsonet.com>, TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [BULK] - Re: Coax
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:30:14 -0700
The 2m run is a problem.  LMR600 isn't flexible enough to go up and down
with the tower, or around the rotor.  LMR400 flex should be just fine for HF
but at 2m will have 3-1/2 dB loss, which is kind of a lot.  Might consider
LMR400 flex for base of tower to beam feedpoint and LMR600 or hardline from
base of tower to station, so one "splice" would be required.  This can
reduce loss from ~3.5 to ~2.5 dB.  For serious weak-signal work on 2m,
that's a reasonable savings vs. investment; for local ragchewing or FM work,
I wouldn't bother with it.-WB2WIK/6