[TowerTalk] Acorns?

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Acorns?
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:19:17 -0400
Managed to squeeze in an hour on a busy Saturday to do a little tower
work. I removed the rotator so I could lower my A3S down for an A743
upgrade.

The interesting moment came when I went to raise the mast up so I
could pull out the rotator. I unbolted the rotator clamp, then raised
the mast with a screwdriver. Soon I get a lapfull of acorns. In my 2"
aluminum mast, there must have been hundreds of them.

When I pulled out the rotator, I was greeted with about a hundred
more. The top of the mast is uncapped. Apparently, birds have taken
to dropping the acorns into the mast, thinking they'll come back and
dig them out of the hole. Unfortunately, the acorns drop irretrivably
9 feet down to the rotator.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901